Purchase and Sale of a Business
The purchase and sale of a business is one of the most important transactions for business owners. We’re starting a blog series to let you know more about how the process of purchasing or selling a business works. As a side note, lawyers often call these types of transactions mergers and acquisitions, especially when referring to transactions involving extremely large companies. Mergers and acquisitions are essentially just the purchase and sale of a business but generally on a larger scale and with more moving parts.
We’re going to discuss the purchase and sale process from start to finish. For each post we’ll explain what’s at stake and how your lawyer can help you. For this series we have scheduled posts on the following topics:
- Preliminary Documents
- Due Diligence
- The Structure of the Transaction
- Intellectual Property Matters
- Five Key Securities Issues Related to the Purchase and Sale of a Business
- Employee Matters
- The Business Purchase Letter of Intent
- Drafting the Purchase and Sale Agreement
- Merger Agreements
- Ancillary Agreements and Documents
- Logistics of Closing
As we post each blog in the series, we’ll update this page with links to all the posts in the series.